Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are disastrous weather events. What is the difference between them? Where do they strike?
This geography-based assignment contains a short reading to answer these questions. Students then find absolute and relative location (geographic coordinates and cardinal/intermediate directions respectively) of tropical storm-prone nations.
In the final part of the project, students research three in-depth prompts specific to hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons and how they affect people living in different regions of the world. They will then present their research findings in an essay.
Research logs, blank maps, answer keys, and a rubric for student essays are included.
You must provide the research tools including world maps, Internet access, library books, etc.
Location, Place, Human-Environmental Interaction, and Region are four of the five themes of geography. This assignment is intended to provide students strong support in better understanding and applying these themes.
I would not recommend using this project at the beginning of a school year or semester, but instead introduce it after students have a working knowledge of the five themes.
Please download the sample to see briefly this assignment's appearance. The research questions are not included in the sample.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 100 Social Studies Research Questions Elementary/Middle Grades
2. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
3. Create-a-Country Geography Skills Project - SCALABLE
4. Substitute Lesson A to Z Geography World Cities & Countries
5. Identify Biomes with all six Star Wars Movies - Project & Rubric
6. Absolute Location Assignment & Key American Cities Latitude Longitude
7. Introductory Geography Terms - Vocabulary Matching Assignment + 6 Puzzles
8. Where Do Bananas Grow? A Geography Lesson About Movement
9. Assassination of Julius Caesar RAFT Writing Project + Rubric + Edublogs Tutorial
10. Five Themes, Geography - Vocabulary Match Assignment & 3 Puzzles
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License