"Huswifery" by Edward Taylor
"Huswifery" lesson contains the following:
✠ Step-by-step instructions
✠ Clean copy of the poem
along with answer key explaining poem
✠ Jigsaw and Group Activity
- Students will use the "jigsaw" activity to comprehend the parts of a spinning wheel in order to apply that knowledge and master the theme
of the poem. Students will discuss, share, paraphrase, question, and research
. They will also delve into metaphorical imagery
and learn what conceit
is in poetry. They will have to dig deep to understand this complex and challenging poem.
✠ 12 Question Quiz in 2 Versions
to deter cheaters - Answer Key
inlcuded. These quizzes are in an editable PowerPoint
in case you wish to make any changes.
Times will vary depending on what the students do in and out of class. This lesson can take up 2 class periods if you do all of the enclosed activities.
• "Upon the Burning of Our House" by Anne Bradstreet
• Puritan Poetry - "Huswifery" and "Upon the Burning of Our House"
• "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" Can Be Fun! Plus More Great Lessons!
• "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards Can Be So Much Fun!
• The Crucible Bundle
• The Crucible Plot Review Activity
• The Crucible Quizzes - Acts 1, 2, 3, 4
• The Crucible Review Game
• The Crucible Test
• Salem Witch Trials Escape Room / Lock Box
• Salem Witch Trials Primary Documents Exploration
• Salem Witch Trials Video Guide with Extension Activity
• Crucible Character Essay with Scaffolding
• Crucible Activities Bundle - Pre-Reading and Post-reading
• The Scarlet Letter Unit - Vocabulary, Quizzes, Activities, Test, Project
If you would like an ENTIRE semester of American literature lessons and activities at your fingertips, visit American Literature Full Semester for more stress-free planning!