Hybrid Identity Unit for Heritage Speakers - Mi identidad híbrida
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (9)
showing 1-5 of 9 products
This is a 13-day unit for heritage speakers class about hybrid identity.
There are digital PDF versions included. This unit is compatible with distance learning. The lesson plans included are written for in-person learning.
Student materials are in Spanish.
Detailed daily lesson plan instructions are included for the teacher (based on 57-minute class periods).
- Students will discuss and illustrate the parts of their life that are considered Latino, and additionally the parts of their life that are considered American.
- Students will identify specific habits, beliefs, and cultural practices that are either considered Latino or American.
- Students will define “code-switching.” Students will recognize the difference between code-switching and Spanglish.
- Students will identify visible and invisible culture for Latinos and Americans.
- Students will define the terms “stereotype,” and “generalization.” Students will be asked to reflect on which stereotypes and generalizations they hold, knowingly or unknowingly.
- Students will define the term “discrimination.” Students will reflect on the discrimination they experience. Students will describe positive character traits of people they personally know from other races and cultures.
- Students will watch a TedTalk and reflect on how to overcome stereotypes by looking within. Students will create a personal sentence that discredits a stereotype, and reinforces a personal truth about their unique personhood.
- Students will create a poster depicting and bringing to life their personal sentence.
- Students will fill in missing lyrics to the song, “Soy yo,” by Bomba Estereo. Students will categorize examples of generalization, stereotypes, and discrimination.
- Students will draw a picture to represent how society sees them versus how they see themselves. Students will write a poem about their feelings that demonstrates code-switching.
- Students will show they understand the differences between the three unit terms: generalization, stereotype, and discrimination. Students will observe and comment on the work of their peers.
- Which activities and beliefs in my life are considered Latino? Which are considered American?
- What is a hybrid identity?
- What is code-switching? How is code-switching a part of a hybrid identity? Is Spanglish code-switching? Do you code-switch?
- What is visible culture? What is invisible culture?
- What is a stereotype? What is a generalization? What stereotypes exist in the United States concerning different races?
- How do you feel after listing out all of the negative stereotypes of other races, in class yesterday? Have you personally experienced discrimination due to stereotypes? What are positive character traits of people you know personally from other races cultures?
- What are the stereotypes within the Latino community about certain Latin American countries? How much do stereotypes affect you? How can you overcome stereotypes? What are soft-skills? What soft-skills do you have? How do you positively contribute to society? What truly defines you as a person?
- How do you personally differ from stereotypes about Latinos?
- What differentiates a generalization, a stereotype, and discrimination?
- How does society see you? How do you see yourself?
- In what ways were my feelings during this unit similar to my peers?
The majority of this unit is NOT editable. There are some Google Docs & Slides included that are editable and some Google Slides that are NOT editable.
You may also like: Heritage Speakers Unit: La identidad
You may also like: Heritage Speakers Unit: La felicidad
More distance learning resources:
Heritage Speakers Unit: Representación latina (distance learning version)
Heritage Unit: La biografía de una persona influyente
El "spanglish" en los Estados Unidos
Mi vida híbrida Google Doc assignment for heritage speakers
Find me on social media:
Did you know that when I upload a new product, that product is 50% off for the first 24 hrs? Click here to follow my store so you don't miss a half-price product again!