I Can Do It – a mini book, features verbs/action words, rhyming
This 32-page mini book features I Can Do It by Gloria Rojas, a simple, repetitive, predictable, reader. This is a story about all the things little boys and girls can do. I was inspired to write this after creating The Itsy Bitsy Spider – Never Give Up resource. There is an English version as well as a Spanish version of this book. This file contains the English version. This book will support your study of verbs/action words with rhyming text.
42-page document contents include:
• Pages 4: I Can Do It book content: Complete version of the 32 page mini book “I Can Do It” by Gloria Rojas..
• Pages 5-12: Pocket Chart Sequence Cards: pocket chart sequence cards for the 32 page mini book “I Can Do It ” by Gloria Rojas.
• Pages 13-23: Coco Talk-What Can You Do?: Coco Talk is a resource to help build conversational skills. Have students select the appropriate item for each prompt (e.g., What Can You Do?). Create a book with all pages for students to complete. This resource is great for students with limited English proficiency to teach how to sort/categorize, make choices, respond/ask questions, and build vocabulary! (verbs)
• Pages 24: The English Alphabet – ASL: Teach the students how to fingerspell their names. Using ASL fingerspelling you are using a visual, kinesthetic, hands-on, spatial, multi-modal way of teaching letters and letter-sounds. This is a fun activity that promotes recognition at an early age that speech has visual representations at the “phoneme” level. For English language learners this will help in the cross-linguistic transfer from one language to the other particularly, if their native language is an alphabetic language like Spanish.
• Pages 25-41: Verbs: Two whole group activities to teach verbs; “The Verb Chant” and “What is He/She Doing Chant”. As the students chant, one student acts out a verb (present progressive –ing), then, when they stop, reinforce (past tense verb). A small group activity: Regular/irregular past tense verbs 27 cards, present progressive verbs 27 cards. Using verb mat, students will Identify and label verbs. 24 pictures
This document was created using Smarty Symbols. Smarty Symbols is a registered Trademark of Smarty Ears, 2013. All rights reserved to Smarty Ears.