This product features numerous different graphic organizers that allow for a close reading of “I Have a Dream” as well as multiple writing opportunities. All of these tasks were created with Common Core in mind!
These rigorous organizers really ask students to closely read Dr. King's infamous speech. Students must analyze his iconic words and dig deep to determine what the ideas behind his speech were. This can be used in a multitude of ways. Students can complete these individually, with a partner at stations, or these can be used as a whole class task.
After having your students read Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous "I Have a Dream" speech, they can complete the graphic organizers, text-dependent questions, activities, and writing tasks.
*After Reading Response Questions
* Over 40 Text-Dependent Questions with Answer Key
* 2 opening activities! Quotation Cards for Quotation Mingle, as well as directions.
* “Checks” are included that can be given to students. The checks help to make King’s ideas about rights that were granted to all citizens more concrete. This can be used as an opener, a discussion prompt, or a writing task.
* Identifying Central Ideas & Details Graphic Organizer, along with Writing Task and Rubric
* Theme Graphic Organizer, Writing Task, and Rubric
* Summary & Key Details Graphic Organizer, Writing Task, and Rubric
* Figurative Language Organizer with Rubric
* Allusion graphic organizer
* Speech Structure/Organization Graphic Organizer and Handout on Text Structures
* Comparing and Contrasting Reading the speech vs. viewing Dr. King's speech. Link to video of speech
* Identifying Claims and Evidence Graphic Organizer
* Comparing and Contrasting ideas in Speeches: Graphic
Organizer, Writing Prompt, and Rubric
-A link is included for Dr. King’s speech in Detroit a few months before his famous March on Washington speech that has similar ideas. A link to the text is included.
*Wordle of Speech with Discussion Questions to help find the Central Idea of the Speech using the Wordle
* Link to “Bet You Didn’t Know” Video about cool facts that you may not know about the speech!
* Theme writing prompt with rubric.
* Found Poem Directions
*YOU Have a Dream-Students write their own speech about their hopes and dreams. Directions, Brainstorming Organizer, Pre-Writing Organizer, and Rubric are included.
***Teacher’s guide is included!
Please contact me with any questions or if you’d like anything edited or changed! Thanks so much for checking out my product!
If you like my work, please be sure to click the star in the upper right hand corner to follow me! You'll be the first to know about new products, freebies, sales, and more!