This video is great for introducing, practicing, and/or reviewing the basic short and long vowel sounds. While it can be used to teach many standards, the main ones are:
Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
I've used the simplest examples to help students remember those basic sounds:
a: apple, apron
e: eggshell, eagle
i: inchworm, ice cream
o: octopus, ocean
u: umbrella, unicorn
Research indicates that students learn best from videos when they interact with the teacher and each other before, during, and after watching.
Before this video:
Ask children to tell you the sounds that short and long vowels make.
During the video:
Invite children to "learn something new every time you sing." You may want to give them mini-whiteboards, and they can take notes as the song plays. After you've played this several times for the class, invite them to say "stop" when they want you to pause to point out interesting observations.
After the video:
Ask children about their observations and begin a discussion about letter patterns. In addition, you can pause at the end to see 2 kinds of charts:
1. I've included all short and long vowel sounds together with key pictures.
2. I've included the same chart with words.
Note that this is one of 31 videos in my Phonics Time COMPLETE set: Please click HERE
. This set includes:
1. Access to all videos--to stream and download.
2. All 31 mp3 songs
3. An illustrated 35-page student lyric book
4. A 28-page teacher's guide including an introduction to phonics; teaching ideas to implement before, during, and after playing songs; and 3 quick assessments
5. Any "extras" that come with individual files on TpT
6. Access to my website, where I've featured all 31 videos along with simple lesson ideas on one convenient page.
***You may also like my 38-Song 1st Grade Math Videos Growing BUNDLE