- Product Description
UPDATED 3/19: New Design, Same Content.
Mustaches seem to be a big hit with kids right now! My own 5th grade daughter used the campaign slogan “I ‘MUSTACHE’ you to vote for me for President!” to win her spot on student council. For this product, I thought it would be fun to use the “craze” to engage my students in opinion writing.
Aside from the catchy title, this unit provides students with tools to help them become excellent opinion writers. It includes all of the following items needed to launch a unit on opinion writing:
- 4 Idea Generators for students to gather topic ideas.
- 5 Mini Lessons to teach students the different parts of an opinion piece (Introduce Your Topic, Stating Your Opinion, Providing Reasons, Support Your Reasons, and Concluding Statement)
- 1 Brainstorming page for students to gather ideas about a given topic.
- 1 Opinion Transitions List
- 4 Specific Writing Assignments to guide students through their first four opinion essays.
- 3 Opinion Organizers to be used with any topic. (Different organizers allow for “Release of Responsibility”)
- 2 Final Draft Papers (one with and one without “mustache” theme)
- 1 Revise and Edit Checklist
- 3 CCSS Scoring Guides (one each for grades 3, 4, and 5. Standards included)
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.