For this novel by Lauren Tarshis, here is a comprehensive study unit that takes readers through the horrendous experience of people escaping capture and death camps in World War II. This is not intended for grades lower than 5th. It works well as a read-aloud.
Included are -
- Four or five questions for each chapter, many are multiple part.
- Questions are arranged on a half-page per chapter and may be
used similar to Task Cards.
- Detailed teacher suggestions.
- Topic specific journal page.
- Writing Task Cards - two for paragraphs; two for essays
- Word Search with close reading questions for Timeline at the end of the novel.
- All answers included.
Questions align with CCSS ELA 6,7,8 RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9
Writing aligns with CCSS ELA W1, 2, 3
CCSS Speaking and Listening suggestions are included.
- Included is my CCSS ELA 6,7,8 Reading Literature Check List
Word Study worksheets are here too:
- Ch 1 to 5; Ch 6 to 13. Each has three synonym/antonym identification and room for students to write definitions for five other words. Spelling ladders are included, as CCSS for every grade 3 to 8 lists "Spelling, age appropriate". The spelling ladders are a low-key way of approaching spelling and the puzzle lovers like them a lot.
See Preview for teacher suggestions and four sample chapter question sets.