* 1st Grade Reading Comprehension Passages and Questions for Guided Reading, Intervention, Parent Volunteers, Homeschool, Whole Group, or Homework*
23 original first grade leveled reading passages and close reading activities perfectly aligned to Common Core Literature AND Informational reading standards! This pack could be used in a variety of ways - class-wide reading, homework, assessment, fluency work, reading comprehension practice, guided reading groups, or intervention.
RIGOROUS AND COMMON CORE ALIGNED
Each passage was carefully crafted with a first grader in mind. The response sheets include close reading tasks that are text dependent. The text falls within the Lexile level of 100-350. The word count is at the top of each article.
This 50 page product is perfect for mid-end of kindergarten and first grade. It could also be used with second grade students who are below grade level.
The fiction articles have their own response sheet based on CCSS. Each non fiction article has its own response sheets that focus on main idea, supporting details, using text supported evidence, and summaries.
THIS PRODUCT HAS MULTIPLE USES
1. Intervention- The teacher can read the text and students can practice responding orally or with support. Once the teacher reads, students can try it on their own. This would be a great opportunity to practice fluency, comprehension, predicting, inferring and many other skills. This is a great way to build confidence with students who are not yet ready to read the books independently.
2. Partner Reading- The passages are high interest for first graders, which is beneficial for reluctant readers. Working with partners is another way to help students who lack confidence and /or stamina.
3. Homework or Independent Work During Centers or Daily Five - For students who are more fluent in their reading, this would be a great way to assess their reading comprehension and ability to respond appropriately on the response sheets.
4. Fluency Work – Since the word count is provided, it would be easy to time student’s reading and figure out how many words per minute they are reading. 60 wpm or higher is desirable by the end of first grade.
5. Guided Reading – Especially if you have limited time, short, snappy texts are perfect for reading groups. You can focus on a reading strategy, such as close reading, inference, asking and answering text dependent questions, or citing evidence from the text. You could send the article and reading comprehension sheet home as homework or do it with the group.
Other I am Reading Products:
I am Reading! 1st Grade #2
I am Reading! 1st Grade #3
I am Reading! 1st Grade #4
You can also buy all four I am Reading products at a 20% discount here:
I am Reading First Grade Bundle
As always, please ask questions before purchasing. Thank you so much!
Copyright© 2015 Cecelia Magro
All rights reserved by author. Permission to copy for single classroom use only. Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower.