*NONFICTION AND FICTION TEXT FOR GUIDED READING*
22 original second grade leveled reading passages and close reading activities perfectly aligned to Common Core Literature AND Informational reading standards! This pack could be used in a variety of ways - class-wide reading, homework, assessment, guided reading groups, or intervention.
RIGOROUS AND COMMON CORE ALIGNED
Each passage was carefully crafted with a second grader in mind. The response sheets include close reading tasks that are text dependent. You may also use these for reading fluency and reading comprehension assessments.The text are leveled between first and third grade. The word count is at the top of each article. There are 12 non fiction and 10 fiction texts.
Feet, Feet, Feet
Tiger is Scared
Tiger is Hungry
The Chicken’s Life
How do Pumpkins Grow?
Tiger Wants to Play
What Lives in the Sea?
The Little Red Hen
A Butterfly’s Life
The Three Bears
Let’s Explore a Backyard
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Little Red Riding Hood
THIS PRODUCT HAS MULTIPLE USES
1. Intervention- The teacher can read the text and students can practice responding orally or with support. Once the teacher reads, students can try it on their own. This would be a great opportunity to practice fluency, comprehension, predicting, inferring and many other skills. This is a great way to build confidence with students who are not yet ready to read the books independently.
2. Partner Reading- The passages are high interest for second graders, which is beneficial for reluctant readers. Working with partners is another way to help students who lack confidence and /or stamina.
3. Homework or Independent Work During Centers or Daily Five - For students who are more fluent in their reading, this would be a great way to assess their reading comprehension and ability to respond appropriately on the response sheets.
4. Fluency Work – Since the word count is provided, it would be easy to time student’s reading and figure out how many words per minute they are reading. 90 wpm or higher is desirable by the end of second grade.
5. Guided Reading – Especially if you have limited time, short, snappy texts are perfect for reading groups. You can focus on a reading strategy, such as close reading, inference, asking and answering text dependent questions, or citing evidence from the text. You could send the article and reading comprehension sheet home as homework or do it with the group.
Other I am Reading
I am Reading, Too
I am Reading #3
I am Reading #4
You can also buy all four I am Reading products at a 20% discount here:
I am Reading Second Grade Bundle
As always, please ask questions before purchasing. Thank you so much!
Copyright© 2015 Cecelia Magro
All rights reserved by author. Permission to copy for single classroom use only. Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.