This game, when played as a whole with the class or in small groups, is designed for the students to learn, review and practice verb synonyms. With this activity, the academic vocabulary will increase as the listening skills are practiced.
30 game cards
12 blank cards to add/write-in words
1. Individually cut the cards and laminate for prolonged usage.
2. Distribute the cards among the students.
3. Choose a student to start the game by reading aloud the question, “Who has the synonym of…?” from one of their cards.
4. The student who has the correct answer to the question will read it aloud the answer card. The rest of the participants will confirm if this is the correct answer to the question asked.
5. If correct, the student will then read the question that is below the answer on the same card. Each card is connected to another card with an answer and question displayed.
6. The students should pay close attention to the to the cards and words being read in order to maintain a constant pace of the game.
7. The game will continue until all of the cards have been read. The last answer should be read by the student who initiated the game.