This 50-slide powerpoint presentation covers 'Topic 11.2 - Movement' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum. Each slide includes the specific learning objective as well as key vocabulary that students should note.
The presentation itself contains minimal information as it is intended to be used with teacher guidance. There are sometimes 'Video' slides throughout which link to relevant and informative YouTube content. The slides are formatted to be visually pleasing and to also print well for handouts or revision. Please see the preview file (first 8 slides) for an idea of the aesthetic and level of detail in the presentation. The relevant 'Essential Knowledge' can be found below.
I have had success using these presentations to review topics after students have been exposed to the material at home. I typically have the class read relevant material (book, site, etc.) and then watch the videos the day before introducing a topic. During the class period, I use the slides to structure the discussion around the IB Bio Understandings. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These presentations are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
U1: Bones and exoskeletons provide anchorage for muscles and act as levers.
U2: Synovial joints allow certain movements but not others.
U3: Movement of the body requires muscles to work in antagonistic pairs.
U4: Skeletal muscle fibres are multinucleate and contain specialized endoplasmic reticulum.
U5: Muscle fibres contain many myofibrils.
U6: Each myofibril is made up of contractile sarcomeres.
U7: The contraction of the skeletal muscle is achieved by the sliding of actin and myosin filaments.
U8: ATP hydrolysis and cross bridge formation are necessary for the filaments to slide.
U9: Calcium ions and the proteins tropomyosin and troponin control muscle contractions.
Applications & Skills:
A1: Antagonistic pairs of muscles in an insect leg.
S1: Annotation of a diagram of the human elbow.
S2: Drawing labelled diagrams of the structure of a sarcomere.
S3: Analysis of electron micrographs to find the state of contraction of muscle fibres.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
IB Biology HL PPT Bundle
IB Biology SL & HL PPT BUNDLE
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism PPT BUNDLE
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology PPT BUNDLE
• 9.1 - Transport in Xylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants
Topic 10 - Genetics & Evolution PPT BUNDLE
• 10.1 - Meiosis HL
• 10.2 - Inheritance HL
• 10.3 - Gene Pool & Speciation
Topic 11 - Animal Physiology PPT BUNDLE
• 11.1 - Antibody Production & Vaccination
• 11.2 - Movement
• 11.3 - Kidneys & Osmoregulation
• 11.4 - Sexual Reproduction