This 46-slide powerpoint presentation covers 'Topic 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum. Each slide includes the specific learning objective as well as key vocabulary that students should note.
The topic has been divided into three sections:
• A - Techniques & Profiling
• B - Genetic Modification
• C - Cloning
The presentation itself contains minimal information as it is intended to be used with teacher guidance. There are sometimes 'Video' throughout which link to relevant and informative YouTube content. The slides are formatted to be visually pleasing and to also print well for handouts or revision. Please see the preview file (first 8 slides) for an idea of the aesthetic and level of detail in the presentation. The relevant 'Essential Knowledge' can be found below.
I have had success using these presentations to review topics after students have been exposed to the material at home. I typically have the class read relevant material (book, site, etc.) and then watch the videos the day before introducing a topic. During the class period, I use the slides to structure the discussion around the IB Bio Understandings. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These presentations are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
U1: Gel electrophoresis is used to separate proteins or fragments of DNA according to size.
U2: PCR can be used to amplify small amounts of DNA.
U3: DNA profiling involves comparison of DNA.
U4: Genetic modification is carried out by gene transfer between species.
U5: Clones are groups of genetically identical organisms, derived from a single original parent cell.
U6: Many plant species and some animal species have natural methods of cloning.
U7: Animals can be cloned at the embryo stage by breaking up the embryo into more than one group of cells.
U8: Methods have been developed for cloning adult animals using differentiated cells.
A1: Use of DNA profiling in paternity and forensic investigations.
A2: Gene transfer to bacteria using plasmids makes use of restriction endonucleases and DNA ligase.
A3: Assessment of the potential risks and benefits associated with genetic modification of crops.
A4: Production of cloned embryos produced by somatic-cell nuclear transfer.
S1: Design of an experiment to assess one factor affecting the rooting of stem-cuttings.
S2: Analysis of examples of DNA profiles.
S3: Analysis of data on risks to monarch butterflies of Bt crops.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
IB Biology HL PPT Bundle
IB Biology SL & HL PPT BUNDLE
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism PPT BUNDLE
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology PPT BUNDLE
• 9.1 - Transport in Xylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants
Topic 10 - Genetics & Evolution PPT BUNDLE
• 10.1 - Meiosis HL
• 10.2 - Inheritance HL
• 10.3 - Gene Pool & Speciation
Topic 11 - Animal Physiology PPT BUNDLE
• 11.1 - Antibody Production & Vaccination
• 11.2 - Movement
• 11.3 - Kidneys & Osmoregulation
• 11.4 - Sexual Reproduction