This 31-slide powerpoint presentation covers 'Topic 5.2 - Natural Selection' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum. Each slide includes the specific learning objective as well as key vocabulary that students should note.
The topic has been divided into three sections:
• A - Taxonomy & Naming
• B - Natural Classification
• C - Recognition Features
The presentation itself contains minimal information as it is intended to be used with teacher guidance. There are sometimes 'Video' throughout which link to relevant and informative YouTube content. The slides are formatted to be visually pleasing and to also print well for handouts or revision. Please see the preview file (first 8 slides) for an idea of the aesthetic and level of detail in the presentation. The relevant 'Essential Knowledge' can be found below.
I have had success using these presentations to review topics after students have been exposed to the material at home. I typically have the class read relevant material (book, site, etc.) and then watch the videos the day before introducing a topic. During the class period, I use the slides to structure the discussion around the IB Bio Understandings. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These presentations are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
U1: The binomial system of names for species is universal among biologists and has been agreed and developed at a series of congresses.
U2: When species are discovered they are given scientific names using the binomial system.
U3: Taxonomists classify species using a hierarchy of taxa.
U4: All organisms are classified into three domains.
U5: The principal taxa for classifying eukaryotes are kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus and species.
U6: In a natural classification, the genus and accompanying higher taxa consist of all the species that have evolved from one common ancestral species.
U7: Taxonomists sometimes reclassify groups of species when new evidence shows that a previous taxon contains species that have evolved from different ancestral species.
U8: Natural classifications help in identification of species and allow the prediction of characteristics shared by species within a group.
A1: Classification of one plant and one animal species from domain to species level.
A2: Recognition features of bryophyta, filicinophyta, coniferophyta and angiospermophyta.Application: Recognition features of porifera, cnidaria, platylhelmintha, annelida, mollusca, arthropoda and chordata.
A3: Recognition of features of birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles and fish.
S1: Construction of dichotomous keys for use in identifying specimens.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
IB Biology HL PPT Bundle
IB Biology SL & HL PPT BUNDLE
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism PPT BUNDLE
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology PPT BUNDLE
• 9.1 - Transport in Xylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants
Topic 10 - Genetics & Evolution PPT BUNDLE
• 10.1 - Meiosis HL
• 10.2 - Inheritance HL
• 10.3 - Gene Pool & Speciation
Topic 11 - Animal Physiology PPT BUNDLE
• 11.1 - Antibody Production & Vaccination
• 11.2 - Movement
• 11.3 - Kidneys & Osmoregulation
• 11.4 - Sexual Reproduction