This 14-page notes outline (blank) covers 'Topic 6.2 - The Blood System' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum and also include a summary sheet for vocabulary and diagrams (great for exam review). The notes have been divided into the following sections:
• A - Circulatory System
• B - Blood Vessels
• C - Heart Structure
• D - Cardiac Cycle
• E - Heart Beat
Based on my IB Biology (2016) - 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
I have my students review my PPTs and complete the relevant note sections prior to During the class period, I use the presentations and notes to structure the discussion and address any misunderstandings as they come up. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These notes are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
• U1: The contraction of circular and longitudinal muscle of the small intestine mixes the food with
enzymes and moves it along the gut.
• U2: The pancreas secretes enzymes into the lumen of the small intestine.
• U3: Enzymes digest most macromolecules in food into monomers in the small intestine.
• U4: Villi increase the surface area of epithelium over which absorption is carried out.
• U5: Villi absorb monomers formed by digestion as well as mineral ions and vitamins.
• U6: Different methods of membrane transport are required to absorb different nutrients.
• A1: Processes occurring in the small intestine that result in the digestion of starch and transport of
the products of digestion to the liver.
• A2: Use of dialysis tubing to model absorption of digested food in the intestine.
• S1: Production of an annotated diagram of the digestive system.
• S2: Identification of tissue layers in transverse sections of the small intestine viewed with a
microscope or in a micrograph.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
IB Biology HL PPT Bundle
IB Biology SL & HL PPT BUNDLE
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism PPT BUNDLE
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology PPT BUNDLE
• 9.1 - Transport in Xylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants
Topic 10 - Genetics & Evolution PPT BUNDLE
• 10.1 - Meiosis HL
• 10.2 - Inheritance HL
• 10.3 - Gene Pool & Speciation
Topic 11 - Animal Physiology PPT BUNDLE
• 11.1 - Antibody Production & Vaccination
• 11.2 - Movement
• 11.3 - Kidneys & Osmoregulation
• 11.4 - Sexual Reproduction