This 18-slide powerpoint presentation covers 'Topic 8.1 - Enzymes HL' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum. Each slide includes the specific learning objective as well as key vocabulary that students should note.
The presentation itself contains minimal information as it is intended to be used with teacher guidance. There are sometimes 'Video' throughout which link to relevant and informative YouTube content. The slides are formatted to be visually pleasing and to also print well for handouts or revision. Please see the preview file (first 8 slides) for an idea of the aesthetic and level of detail in the presentation. The relevant 'Essential Knowledge' can be found below.
I have had success using these presentations to review topics after students have been exposed to the material at home. I typically have the class read relevant material (book, site, etc.) and then watch the videos the day before introducing a topic. During the class period, I use the slides to structure the discussion around the IB Bio Understandings. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These presentations are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
- U1: Metabolic pathways consist of chains and cycles of enzyme-catalysed reactions.
- U2: Enzymes lower the activation energy of the chemical reactions that they catalyse.
- U3: Enzyme inhibitors can be competitive or non-competitive.
- U4: Metabolic pathways can be controlled by end-product inhibition.
- A1: Application: End-product inhibition of the pathway that converts threonine to isoleucine
- S1: Calculating and plotting rates of reaction from raw experimental results
- S2: Distinguishing different types of inhibition from graphs at specified substrate concentration.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology
• 9.1 - Transport in Phylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants