This 49-slide powerpoint presentation covers 'Topic 8.2 - Cell Respiration' in the 2016 IB Biology curriculum. Each slide includes the specific learning objective as well as key vocabulary that students should note.
The topic has been divided into 4 sections:
• A - Glycolysis & Link Reaction
• B - Redox & Krebs Cycle
• C - Chemiosmosis
• D - Mitochondria
The presentation itself contains minimal information as it is intended to be used with teacher guidance. There are sometimes 'Video' throughout which link to relevant and informative YouTube content. The slides are formatted to be visually pleasing and to also print well for handouts or revision. Please see the preview file (first 8 slides) for an idea of the aesthetic and level of detail in the presentation. The relevant 'Essential Knowledge' can be found below.
I have had success using these presentations to review topics after students have been exposed to the material at home. I typically have the class read relevant material (book, site, etc.) and then watch the videos the day before introducing a topic. During the class period, I use the slides to structure the discussion around the IB Bio Understandings. The remaining class time is spent reinforcing the knowledge or working on activities, written test practice, or nature of science.
**These presentations are based on the IB Biology Course Guide and do not follow any textbook
As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. These are always a work in progress!
- U1: Cell respiration involves the oxidation and reduction of electron carriers.
- U2: Phosphorylation of molecules makes them less stable.
- U3: In glycolysis, glucose is converted to pyruvate in the cytoplasm.
- U4: Glycolysis gives a small net gain of ATP without the use of oxygen.
- U5: In aerobic cell respiration pyruvate is decarboxylated and oxidized, and converted
into acetyl compound and attached to coenzyme A to form acetyl coenzyme A in the link reaction.
- U6: In the Krebs cycle, the oxidation of acetyl groups is coupled to the reduction
of hydrogen carriers, liberating carbon dioxide.
- U7: Energy released by oxidation reactions is carried to the cristae of the mitochondria
by reduced NAD and FAD.
- U8: Transfer of electrons between carriers in the electron transport chain in the membrane
of the cristae is coupled to proton pumping.
- U9: In chemiosmosis protons diffuse through ATP synthase to generate ATP.
- U10: Oxygen is needed to bind with the free protons to maintain the hydrogen gradient,
resulting in the formation of water.
- U11: The structure of the mitochondrion is adapted to the function it performs.
- A1: Electron tomography used to produce images of active mitochondria.
Dokimi IB Biology Products
IB Biology SL PPT Bundle
IB Biology HL PPT Bundle
IB Biology SL & HL PPT BUNDLE
Topic 1 - Cell Biology PPT Bundle
• 1.1 - Intro to Cells PPT
• 1.2 - Ultrastructures of Cells PPT
• 1.3 - Membrane Structure PPT
• 1.4 - Membrane Transport PPT
• 1.5 - Origin of Cells PPT
• 1.6 - Cell Division PPT
Topic 2 - Molecular Biology PPT Bundle
• 2.1 - Molecules to Metabolism PPT
• 2.2 - Water PPT
• 2.3 - Carbohydrates & Lipids PPT
• 2.4 - Proteins PPT
• 2.5 - Enzymes PPT
• 2.6 - Structure of DNA & RNA PPT
• 2.7 - DNA Replication, Transcription & Translation PPT
• 2.8 - Cell Respiration PPT
• 2.9 - Photosynthesis PPT
Topic 3 - Genetics PPT Bundle
• 3.1 - Genes PPT
• 3.2 - Chromosomes PPT
• 3.3 - Meiosis PPT
• 3.4 - Inheritance PPT
• 3.5 - Genetic Modification & Biotechnology PPT
Topic 4 - Ecology PPT Bundle
• 4.1 - Species, Communities & Ecosystems PPT
• 4.2 - Energy Flow PPT
• 4.3 - Carbon Cycling PPT
• 4.4 - Climate Change PPT
Topic 5 - Evolution & Biodiversity PPT Bundle
• 5.1 - Evidence for Evolution PPT
• 5.2 - Natural Selection PPT
• 5.3 - Classification of Biodiversity PPT
• 5.4 - Cladistics PPT
Topic 6 - Human Physiology PPT Bundle
• 6.1 - Digestion & Absorption PPT
• 6.2 - The Blood System PPT
• 6.3 - Defense Against Infectious Disease PPT
• 6.4 - Gas Exchange PPT
• 6.5 - Neurons & Synapses PPT
• 6.6 - Hormones, Homeostasis & Reproduction PPT
Topic 7 - Nucleic Acids PPT BUNDLE
• 7.1 - DNA Structure & Replication PPT
• 7.2 - Transcription & Gene Expression PPT
• 7.3 - Tranlation PPT
Topic 8 - Metabolism PPT BUNDLE
• 8.1 - Enzymes HL
• 8.2 - Cell Respiration HL
• 8.3 - Photosynthesis HL
Topic 9 - Plant Biology PPT BUNDLE
• 9.1 - Transport in Xylem
• 9.2 - Transport in Phloem
• 9.3 - Growth in Plants
• 9.4 - Reproduction in Plants
Topic 10 - Genetics & Evolution PPT BUNDLE
• 10.1 - Meiosis HL
• 10.2 - Inheritance HL
• 10.3 - Gene Pool & Speciation
Topic 11 - Animal Physiology PPT BUNDLE
• 11.1 - Antibody Production & Vaccination
• 11.2 - Movement
• 11.3 - Kidneys & Osmoregulation
• 11.4 - Sexual Reproduction