5.1 – Evidence of Evolution Presentation
I designed this IB Biology PowerPoint presentation to correspond to the course companion, 2014 Edition Biology, written by Andew Allott and David Mindorff. The content in the presentation is also in alignment with the new 2016 exam. According to the IB Biology Guide, the following topics are addressed in this presentation:
Nature of Science topic:
• Looking for patterns, trends and discrepancies—there are common features in the bone structure of vertebrate limbs despite their varied use.
• Evolution occurs when heritable characteristics of a species change.
• The fossil record provides evidence for evolution.
• Selective breeding of domesticated animals shows that artificial selection can cause evolution.
• Evolution of homologous structures by adaptive radiation explains similarities in structure when there are differences in function.
• Populations of a species can gradually diverge into separate species by evolution.
• Continuous variation across the geographical range of related populations matches the concept of gradual divergence.