5.2 – Natural Selection PowerPoint Presentation
I designed this IB Biology PowerPoint presentation to correspond to the course companion, 2014 Edition Biology, written by Andew Allott and David Mindorff. The content in the presentation is also in alignment with the new 2016 exam. According to the IB Biology Guide, the following are addressed in this presentation:
Nature of Science topic:
• Use theories to explain natural phenomena—the theory of evolution by natural selection can explain the development of antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
• Natural selection can only occur if there is variation among members of the same species.
• Mutation, meiosis and sexual reproduction cause variation between individuals in a species.
• Adaptations are characteristics that make an individual suited to its environment and way of life.
• Species tend to produce more offspring than the environment can support.
• Individuals that are better adapted tend to survive and produce more offspring while the less well adapted tend to die or produce fewer offspring.
• Individuals that reproduce pass on characteristics to their offspring.
• Natural selection increases the frequency of characteristics that make individuals better adapted and decreases the frequency of other characteristics leading to changes within the species.