This is a ready-to-teach handout and worksheet to teach in depth "The Caged Skylark" by Gerard Manley Hopkins. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2019, 2020 and 2021, but the unit and handouts can be taught independently of the exams, too!
The handout includes:
- Biography and introduction to the poet - Gerard Manley Hopkins
- Before you read activities / lesson starters to introduce the poem and key concepts relevant to analysing and understanding the poem in more detail. (Ideal as lesson starters and for a more in-depth, critical approach.)
- The poem text with , line numbers to facilitate a close-reading, and explanatory notes for unusual or difficult vocabulary and concepts (of which there are several in this poem!)
- Comprehension, close reading and analysis questions, with a particular focus on analysing the poem’s use of figurative language and techniques specific to Gerard Manley Hopkins' unique poetic style.
- Additional essay questions and writing tasks to facilitate exam preparation.
- Teacher’s Notes, including a commentary of the poem and a sample response for essay questions - to help be used as a teacher's guide or to be used to aid students in their revision for the exam.
Save 70% by getting this resource as part of my IGCSE Poetry Vol. 2 Part 2 TEACH + EXAM PREP BUNDLE!
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!