This is an advanced, detailed ready-to-teach handout for a lesson or a unit based on "Cetacean" by Peter Reading. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2019, 2020, and 2021, but the handout and worksheet can be used independent of the exams, too!
The handout includes:
- Biography and introduction to the poet - Peter Reading
- Before reading activity, can be used as a lesson or unit starter to get students into the central issues and concerns and to check prior contextual knowledge and skills.
- The poem text with, line numbers to facilitate a close-reading, and a section of explanatory notes of unusual or difficult vocabulary and concepts. Illustrations and images further help clarify the use of terminology and phrases in the specific context of the poem.
- Comprehension, close reading and analysis questions, with a particular focus on close reading and analysis of language and its effects.
- Additional essay questions and writing tasks to facilitate exam preparation (emulate IGCSE English Literature exam questions.
- Teacher’s Notes, including an analysis and commentary of the poem, can be used as a teacher's guide or to help students in their revision for the exam.
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!