PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This handout / worksheet is designed to enable an in-depth teaching and preparation of the poem "How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2020 and 2021..
The handout includes:
1) Short biography and introduction to the poet - Elizabeth Barrett Browning
2) The poem text with line numbers to facilitate a close-reading and analysis.
3) Introduction to Romanticism in Literature (relevant to a better understanding and appreciation of the poem).
4) Comprehension, close-reading & analysis questions.
5) Food for thought, i.e. essay style questions designed as exam practice or to elicit an essay-style response.
6) Additional Graphic Organiser to analyse the poem (for an alternative approach to analysis, and to complement the close-reading & analysis of the poem.
7) Extensive Teacher's Notes & Guide to the poem, including the following:
1. Poem Summary
4. Poetic Form and Devices
Enjoy, and please give feedback!