This is a ready-to-teach handout for a lesson or unit based on Elizabeth Jennings's iconic poem "In Praise of Creation". The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2019, 2020 and 2021, but the handout and worksheet can be used independent of the exams, too!
The handout includes:
- Biography and introduction to the poet - Elizabeth Jennings
- Before you read activities / lesson starters to introduce the poem and key concepts relevant to analysing and understanding the poem in more detail. (Ideal as lesson starters and for a more in-depth, critical approach.)
- The poem text with, line numbers to facilitate a close-reading, and a glossary of unusual or difficult vocabulary and concepts. Illustrations and images further help clarify the use of words and phrases in the specific context of the poem.
- Comprehension, close reading and analysis questions, with a particular focus on analysing the poem’s use of figurative language.
- Additional essay questions and writing tasks to facilitate exam preparation.
- Teacher’s Notes, including an analysis and commentary of the poem, to help be used as a teacher's guide or to be used to aid students in their revision for the exam.
Save 70% by getting this resource as part of my IGCSE Poetry Vol. 2 Part 2 TEACH + EXAM PREP BUNDLE!
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!