PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This handout / worksheet is designed to enable an in-depth teaching and preparation of the poem "Sonnet 29 by Edna St. Vincent Millay. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2020 and 2021..
The handout includes:
1) Short biography and introduction to the poet - Edna St. Vincent Millay
2) Pre-reading review of the sonnet form and tradition, as well as some information about Modernism and Millay's unconventional use of the sonnet form in the 20th century to give women in relationships a voice.
3) The poem text with line numbers to facilitate a close-reading and analysis, and a glossary of unusual or difficult vocabulary.
4) Graphic organiser and questions to enable a close-reading of the poem.
5) Additional essay questions to facilitate exam preparation.
6) Teacher's Notes, designed as a kind of help for teachers in their own analysis of the poem, including:
1. Holistic analysis of the poem
2. Sample essay response and commentary.
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!