This is a handout that guides through the analysis and close-reading of IGCSE poetry tested on the IGCSE English Literature exams.
This handout covers the following poem:
'The Darkling Thrush' - by Thomas Hardy
The handout includes:
- an introduction with biographical and contextual information about the author
- the poem text with a glossary of key vocabulary
- comprehension and close-reading questions, with a focus on analysing the poem's structure, language and use of poetic devices, and main ideas or themes.
- additional information about the poem's reception, modernist overtones etc.
- additional food for thought and essay-writing activities, e.g. comparing 'The Darkling Thrush' to Emily Dickinson's 'Hope is the Thing with Feathers' and / or John Keats' 'Ode to a Nightingale'.