PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This detailed, advanced handout and worksheet is designed to help students in their study of the short story "The Moving Finger" by Edith Wharton. The short story also appears on the English Literature Syllabus for IGCSE Examinations in 2019, 202, and 2021!
The extensive, 24-page handout includes:
1) Short biography of the author (Edith Wharton)
2) Informative sections introducing and explaining the key concepts of Literary Modernism and the Uncanny in Gothic Fiction (relevant for a better understanding of the story).
3) Original short story text with glossary of difficult or challenging terms, line numbers for easy annotation and analysis.
4) Comprehension and analysis questions for the short story.
5) Additional close reading task and activity focusing on important quotes and passages from the story.
6) Additional essay questions designed as food for thought and to facilitate preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams.
7) Teacher's Notes Section + Study guide with MODEL ANSWERS for the comprehension questions, and model essay responses and further criticism for the essay questions.
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!