PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This bundle includes ready-to-teach handouts and worksheets for all of the 10 short stories that need to be taught and included in the preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Specifically:
no. 2 Edgar Allan Poe, ‘The Fall of the House of Usher’
no. 7 Stephen Crane, ‘The Open Boat’
no. 8 Edith Wharton, ‘The Moving Finger’
no. 18 Ray Bradbury, ‘There Will Come Soft Rains’
no. 23 Alex La Guma, ‘The Lemon Orchard’
no. 32 Bernard MacLaverty, ‘Secrets’
no. 33 John McGahern, ‘The Stoat’
no. 36 Patricia Grace, ‘Journey’
no. 37 Janet Frame, ‘The Bath’
no. 48 Tim Winton, ‘On Her Knees’
Each handout includes the following:
1) Short biography of the author
2) Historical context and / or introduction to key literary or cultural concepts / movements / phenomena (where relevant).
3) Full text of the short story, accompanied by a glossary of difficult or relevant vocabulary in the story to facilitate close-reading and understanding.
4) A range of comprehension, close-reading & analysis questions tailored towards studying the stories in preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams.
5) Additional essay questions / creative writing tasks and food for thought questions designed to facilitate and/or imitate IGCSE Literature exam style questions.
This has been a lot of work for me, but seeing as there is nothing like this on the market at present, and knowing how important it is to prepare my students for this tough exam, I have put these worksheets together for everyone.
I've also included a PDF version of all the short stories, with a title page and a table of contents for use as a work book.
You can buy each worksheet separately on my store, of course, but as a bundle, you'll enjoy a 25% discount!
Feedback is always appreciated - thanks in advance!