Engaging Introductions: Hook your students with food!
(Includes Interactive Notebook Activities!)
Why teach with food?
-Everyone loves to eat. My students were always thrilled when I incorporated food into a lesson (especially those who don't have full pantries at home).
-If you can connect it to a skill, then you are helping them build schema. So many students come into school with no schema and very few experiences under their belt (especially in low socio-economic schools).
-If you can connect new learning in an engaging and exciting way, I guarantee the retention rate will be a lot higher!
The Complete EAT.READ.THINK. Series (so far):
MAIN IDEA is like a DOUGHNUT
SEQUENCING is like a COOKIE
COMPARING is like BERRIES
CAUSE AND EFFECT is like an APPLE
INFERENCE is like POPCORN
MAKING CONNECTIONS is like BIRTHDAY CAKE
Eat. Read. Think. Series MEGA BUNDLE
This lesson plan and materials are built around the idea that INFERENCE IS LIKE POPCORN. How? Well, when you combine the popcorn kernels with heat, you get something new...yummy popcorn! Just like, when your combine evidence with schema, you get new ideas!
Table of Contents (by page):
1. Materials Guide
2. Materials Guide
3. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 1
4. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 2
5. Anchor Chart Poster
6. Mini Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks (INB)
7. Mini CLOZE Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks
8. Inference Equation Poster
9. Essential Question Poster 1
10. Essential Question Poster 2
11. Essential Question Poster 3
12. Essential Question Poster 4
13. Concrete Inference Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
14. Concrete Inference Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
15. Concrete Inference Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
16. Concrete Inference Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
17. Concrete Inference Practice (Anchor Chart Example)
18. Concrete Inference Practice 1 (Independent Version)
19. Concrete Inference Practice 2 (Independent Version)
20. Concrete Inference Practice 3 (Independent Version)
21. Abstract Inference Practice 1 (Text Passage INB Flap)
22. Abstract Inference Practice 2 (Text Passage INB Flap)
23. Inference Definition Strip for Interactive Notebook Header
24. Sentence Frame 1
25. Sentence Frame 2
26. Comparing Graphic Organizer
27. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 1
28. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 2
29. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 3
30. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 4
31. Blank Exit Ticket
Check out my FULL Interactive Notebooks:
-Reading Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Math Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Social Studies Notebooks
Come see me!