The following 2 page handout introduces students to the persuasive writing component of the Writing strand of the Language Arts Ontario Curriculum for Grades 6-8.
The first page of the handout:
- introduces the concept of persuasive writing and where students can find it in current media, everyday life
- explores the purpose/goal of a persuasive writing piece
- organization (i.e. focus of a topic, written as a paragraph or paragraphs with topic, body and concluding sentences)
- language and format features that are present (i.e. use of transition words, facts, examples, etc.).
The second page of the handout:
- is a "self-assessment checklist" that essentially is the success criteria students should be following
- can be written / posted on a large piece of paper as an anchor chart / reference chart
- can be used a checklist for students through the unit AND/OR as part of a final writing task
- two questions are also included in which student reflect on the writing process of a specific persuasive piece and what can be improved on for next time
Handout is in Word Doc format and can be modified accordingly to suit the various needs (e.g. IEP modifications, accommodations, etc.) of your students.