This twelve day INVENT & ADVERTISE
writing unit will make scientists out of your writers and writers out of your scientists!
This writing unit will reinforce what your students have learned about famous inventors and their inventions. Just like the inventors they have read about, they will research, create and persuade others to want their own invention.
There are three main components to this unit. First, your students will consider existing inventions (that they will find at home or in the classroom) and discover (using an INVENTOR’s LOG and MIND MAP) what they want to invent. Next, they will create a prototype of their invention and write about it. Finally, they will learn about advertising techniques and develop an add to persuade others to buy their invention.
PHASE ONE: RESEARCH & PLAN
Using their Inventor’s Log, your students will:
- Brainstorm the benefits and needed improvements of existing inventions.
- Consider necessary improvements in their own community/daily life
- Interview adults and friends to identify other problems that they could solve.
- Mind map their invention
PHASE TWO: CREATE & WRITE
your students will:
- Create their invention, if possible
- Record the steps they take
- Explain their invention and their process (Expository Essay with writer’s checklist and teacher’s Time to Edit card)
PHASE THREE: ADVERTISE
Your students will:
- Learn five key advertising techniques
- Review advertisements for products similar to theirs
- Choose the technique they want to use and write a slogan/jingle
- Design a one-page graphic and verbal advertisement
This unit is included in A Year of Creative Expression for Fourth