Pitting the two iron clad ships against each other and starting the modern age of ships made of metal, this story of the Monitor's battle with the Merrimac catches students' attention and they want to keep reading. To supplement their interest and check for reading comprehension, I have created the following -
NOTE: I separated the plot into two parts - Part 1 - Ch. 1 to 16 and Part 2 - Ch. 17 to 30.
- A two page quiz for each part: True/False and Multiple Choice (from a choice of three)
- Word Study - one page for each part
- A Nautical Glossary (see the back of the book) word study with questions to answer - one page
- A Background Information page which includes a word search for names in the story
- Writing Prompt Task Cards - each a half page - sixteen in all. They are specific to one or more chapters and require short Explanatory, Analytic, and Argumentative responses.
Aligns with CCSS ELA RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 W 1, 2, 10
Please see the Preview for a Table of Contents and two sample pages.