The Festa dell'Aquilone is a kite race. It takes place in Urbino on the first Sunday of September, since 1955; initially held in the Albornoz Fortress Park (Resistance Park), and since 1991, it has been moved out of the historic center of the Cesana Hills.
The event takes place on a weekend. The first day has a parade and the presentation of the participating city districts, in the historical center. The second day is dedicated to the race; while the prizes of the districts, winners of the various prizes, take place in the evening, during dinner along Corso Garibaldi, under the famous Torricini of the Palazzo Ducale. (Towers of the Ducal Palace)
Students will choose one day to attend this historical event and write 75-100 words in Italian based on the program. Common Core style reading to writing response. Great follow up to your leisure or travel unit. Pictures and a videoclip link are included to give students prior knowledge and a better understanding of this event. Created for intermediate to advanced students taking the FLACS B/ NYS Regents exam or beyond.
This resource includes:
-a cover page
-a task page
- a one page program
- seven pages of the poem "L' Aquilone " by Giovanni Pascoli including introduction to poem, notes and videoclip link narrating poem
- English translation of the poem "The Kite"
- Painting of "La Piccola Madonna Cowper" by Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino
- two pages of historical background information, pictures and videoclip link to give students some prior knowledge of this event before they begin the task
- three lined papers for students to use while writing their task (one in color and two in ink friendly black and white)
Writing by Rachel
Glitter Meets Glue Designs
Brooklyn Explorers Club