A fun and engaging lesson that clearly teaches the rules of iambic pentameter and its effects. 19 slides, with slides 20 and 21 being the student worksheet.
1. Guess the lyrics - 6 modern day song lyrics to match with the artist
2. Activity: underlining the 'stressed' part of each word
3. 'The Iambic Pentameter Poem' an original poem for the students to try to read out loud and put against the included hip-hop beat. Comes with an example.
4. A grid included in the worksheet (final two slides) for students to compose their own 'iambic pentameter rap' individually or as part of a group
5. Clear explanations as to why iambic pentameter is used
6. Plenary activity where students are given the answers, and have to guess what the question is.