Also included in
- Trying to teach vocabulary and grammar in context? Short on time? These 10-minute-a day vocabulary activities provide repeated practice with targeted vocabulary AND mini-lessons for context clues, grammar, and word structure analysis. Use them for warm-ups, literacy centers, or extension activities$5.00$6.00Save $1.00
As ELA teachers we’re often told to “teach vocabulary in context.” Unfortunately, textbooks usually have a limited number of word-building questions or activities, and it can be difficult to fit the kind of repeated practice with new words into a class period that leads to retention of new vocabulary. Here, I’ve crafted a ready-to-print (or project) vocabulary unit for this selection in the HMH Collections textbook.
This five-page unit targets 12 words from Icarus text set: “The Flight of Icarus” (myth) and “Icarus’s Flight” (poem). Each exercise offers opportunities for repeated practice to deepen understanding. This vocabulary extension includes words not already defined in the text itself and is designed for use as a daily warm-up or augmentation activity for fast-finishers.
It has five activity pages (plus an answer key) including:
- Word List - student friendly definitions
- Words in Context – mini-lesson and practice with a specific type of context clue,
- Word Play - students interact with words in a puzzle format,
- Word Study – targeted grammar or word analysis mini-lesson
- Word Application – quiz challenges students to show deep understanding
In designing this resource, I tried to incorporate many “best practices” for word acquisition, including repeated encounters with the word in different contexts and a progressive sequence of instruction for context clues and grammar (this will be most notable if you purchase multiple units or bundles).
If you like this resource, be sure to check out similar units for other passages in the Collections.