This game is so much fun, and it challenges and motivates students for consistently accurate productions of /s/ sounds at the phrase level. It contains 56 cards, 9 wild cards. Use it for 1 to 4 players.
1. Place 4 cards face down in front of each student.
2. Turn over each card for the student to say.
3. Student keeps the cards said correctly to make matching sets (by matching the ice cream symbols in the corner of the cards-4 cards to a set
4. The student loses a turn when a “Melt” card appears, unless he/she can say “Melt” before any other student.
5. The student’s turn ends when the 4th card is turned up and said correctly, or when #4 occurs.
6. The game continues with each player taking a turn.
7. “Ice Cream” cards are used as wild cards to complete a 4-card set.
8. “Ice Cream” cards can only be earned if the student says “ice Cream” before any other student. Whichever student says “Ice Cream” first gets to keep it.
9. When all the students have had their turn, 4 more cards are dealt face down in front of each student again.
10. The game ends when all the cards have been distributed. The student with the most sets wins.
"Ice Cream--A Game for /s/ Sounds in Phrases"
by Kathy Grover
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License