Objective: Build an ice cream sundae by having a conversation (asking questions, answering questions, making comments) with a peer.
1) Ice Cream Scoops (7)
2) Sprinkles (1)
3) Ice Cream Cup (1)
1) Cut out ice cream scoops, sprinkles and ice cream cup.
2) Give each student 7 ice cream scoops, 1 sprinkles and 1 ice cream cup.
3) Provide students with a topic to talk about or have students choose a topic. You can also create topic cards for students to choose or can create a spinner on the IPAD app, "Decide Now".
4) Instruct students that they will have a conversation/talk about the topic by asking questions, answering questions and making comments. Instruct that each time they ask a question, answer a question or make a comment to their peer, they can begin to build their ice cream sundae.
5) Change topics when students complete their ice cream sundaes.
RULE: Take one piece of the ice cream sundae per each comment or question asked/answered.
** You can also change how students build a sundae. For example, if a student needs to work on solely making comments, instruct that student that each time he/she makes a comment he/she gets a piece of the ice cream sundae.
** During this activity, you can provide students with visuals for asking questions, answering questions and making comments. One visual that I use is also available for download.