Would you like to make learning math facts fun and energizing?
Check out my complete product, Ice Cream Math is designed to run parallel to your math program. Each week students focus on a different fact family and study using flash cards. The unit culminates in an Ice Cream & Cookie Party where students buy treats using the scoops they earn by passing each level.
This challenge will last the entire semester and will culminate in an ice cream celebration party at the end of the year.
• Each student takes a pre-assessment to test the level of multiplication facts they can complete in five minutes.
• Students are then given their ice-cream book (made from recycled paper), which has an individualized task list of the multiplication facts they still need to learn.
• If a student already knows some or all of the multiplication facts, then they will be studying division facts. For example, 12 ÷ 4 = 3. It is important for each child to experience challenge and growth.
• If a student completes the 12 sets of multiplication or division facts, they will be offered additional challenges (provided in this package)
• When a student feels ready, they will sign up to take the timed math test. They will be given 5 minutes to answer 50 questions. They are allowed to miss 5 or fewer problems. If they miss more, they can study a bit more and retake the test as many times as needed.
• Once a student passes a test, they earn the scoop for that level. They can only earn one scoop for each level.
• Near the end of the year, you can have a big celebration. Students will use the scoops they earn as currency to buy cookies and ice cream sundae toppings at our party.
Learning multiplication and division facts is no easy feat. However, fluency in basic math skills will provide your students with better skills to handle more advanced math. This unit is also designed to build confidence and a growth mindset. In short, every student will have to work hard, but hard work can pay off with a sweet reward!