This is the perfect icebreaker to get to know what is important to your students, assess their comprehension, writing, and speaking skills, plus introduce them to Close Reading all while enjoying the popular song "Roar" by Katy Perry! Perfect for language arts, reading, social studies, debate, or speech classes! This icebreaker can be used to kick off a unit on argumentative writing and research or a debate!
This lesson includes:
-Teacher directions in the "Notes" section of the powerpoint slides
-Links to the lyrics, audio, and video
-Close reading prompts
This lesson addresses the following Common Core standards
1. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
4. Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
10. Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.
Listening and Speaking
1. Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
4. Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.