The central idea of a text is the point the author wants to make about a topic. All of the other details in the text should support the central idea by giving more information about it.
This lesson includes instructional strategies (teacher tools) and activities (student work) to help students learn how to recognize the central idea of a text and develop a central idea in their own writing. In addition, resources about informational/explanatory texts are included.
- Learning Intentions Poster
- Essential Questions Poster
- Informative/Explanatory Text Anchor Chart
- Central Idea Anchor Chart
- Connection/Bell Work Activity
- Vocabulary Activity
- Activity for Students to Demonstrate Understanding
- Reflection/Closure Activity
This lesson pairs with the Ideas: Central Idea (Workshop Lesson) that can also be found in my TPT store.