Also included in
- 5th Grade Utah SEEd Bundle: This is a year's worth of lessons and units that address all of the Utah SEEd standards for 5th grade. Save 20% by purchasing together! You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? These units use ph$107.28$134.10Save $26.82
- This is a year-long bundle for 5th grade NGSS. This bundle covers all the standards for the year for fifth grade NGSS. These resources will engage students in hands-on lessons in the 5 E format. Resources also include response pages, informational text articles, interactive notebook inserts, compre$92.60$115.75Save $23.15
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 5th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 5th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 5th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources w$73.32$91.65Save $18.33
- NGSS Fifth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 5th grade for the entire year. Each unit is complete and addresses a standard. You save 20% by purchasing this bundle for fifth-grade science. This year-long 5th-grade science bundle is outstanding!The following resources are in$67.84$84.80Save $16.96
- This NGSS 5th-grade bundle covers the entire year of NGSS standards for fifth grade. This bundle also includes reading informational text units with a science theme. Purchase in the bundle and save 20%. You will love this great bundle for fifth grade science.Science Resources in this Bundle:Identify$134.20$167.25Save $33.05
Students will investigate mystery powders to determine their properties and try to identify what they are. Students will also discover that when substances are mixed, weight is conserved.
Students will design and investigate household materials to determine the properties of the mystery substances and then to determine what the substances are. Students will learn about the properties of matter through investigation. Students will love these four investigations! This unit starts with the use of phenomena and students will use science and engineering practices to solve the mystery.
This resource includes four investigations on properties of matter
Lab One: Mystery powders
Lab Two: Is it water-soluble?
Lab Three: Planning an Investigation
Lab Four: Does Weight of Matter Change?
This resourcefully addresses the NGSS standards for 5th grade PS1A Structure and Properties of Matter from the DCI Matter and Its Interactions:
NGSS 5-PS1-3. Make observations and measurements to identify materials based on their properties.
NGSS 5-PS1-2. Measure and graph quantities to provide evidence that regardless of the type of change that occurs when heating, cooling or mixing substances, the total weight of matter is conserved.
Standard 5.2.2 Ask questions to plan and carry out investigations to identify substances based on patterns of their properties. Emphasize using properties to identify substances. Examples of properties could include color, hardness, conductivity, solubility, or a response to magnetic forces. Examples of substances could include powders, metals, minerals, or liquids. (PS1. A)
Standard 5.2.4 Use mathematics and computational thinking to provide evidence that regardless of the type of change that occurs when heating, cooling or combining substances, the total weight of matter is conserved. Examples could include melting an ice cube, dissolving salt in water, and combining baking soda and vinegar in a closed bag. (PS1.A, PS1.B)
The resource includes:
- lab directions and teacher prep (four labs)
- recording sheets
- follow-up pages
- lab safety instructions
- a multiple-choice quiz
- Answer keys are included for all of it!
Students will identify substances based on their properties through a series of investigations. Students will also learn that when changes occur in by mixing substances, the total weight of matter is conserved. Students will learn about lab safety when handling mystery substances and support their claim with evidence gathered from the investigations.
Science Concepts Include:
Properties of Matter
Designing an investigation
Science lab safety
Conservation of Weight
Identifying materials based on their properties
Students will use the following Science and Engineering Practices:
- Asking Questions and Defining Problems.
- Developing and Using Models.
- Planning and Carrying Out Investigations.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data.
- Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking.
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions.
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence.
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information.
Created by Lynda R. Williams
Teaching Science With Lynda
If you have questions about my resources please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Would you like to see students working with mystery substances?
Please see other great resources for 5th-grade science!