Also included in
- This Elections, Voting, and Evaluating Candidates Bundle has 10 resources to help you teach your middle and high school Civics and American Government students all about United States elections, the electoral college, propaganda, interest groups, PACs and Super PACs! This bundle includes reading pas$36.90$41.00Save $4.10
- This Full Store Civics Bundle bundle includes everything Civics-related in the Happy Teacher Resources TPT store. Please go through the individual resources listed above for more information about each product. ✩ This will be a growing bundle: as new resources are added to the store, you can downloa$241.80$302.25Save $60.45
I love this activity!! In this Identifying Propaganda Techniques Worksheet, students are given a picture of a political candidate giving a campaign speech. In something a bit like a scavenger hunt, they read through the speech and analyze the image, hunting down every example of propaganda they can find.
Nearly every line from the speech utilizes a different propaganda technique, and don't forget to check the slogan on the podium and the flag hanging behind the candidate -- you might find Glittering Generalities and Transfer hard at work! Students circle or underline every type of propaganda they can find in the image, draw arrows, and identify the technique in the margins of the page.
A really fun activity that can be done individually, in pairs, or in small groups, this serves as great practice for Middle and High School Civics and American Government students!
Aligned to the Florida State Standard for 7th Grade Civics, SS.7.C.2.11 Bias, Symbolism, and Propaganda, this resource includes several different examples of the following propaganda techniques:
- Glittering Generalities
- Plain Folks
Some examples of the propaganda hiding in the campaign speech include:
- I grew up in a small town just like this one (Plain Folks)
- There’s a reason I’ve been endorsed by unions across the country, from teachers and autoworkers to farmers and small businesses. (Testimonial)
- Join the tens of thousands of your fellow countrymen, your friends and neighbors, who have already volunteered their time or their money to this campaign. (Bandwagon)
This is such a fun enrichment activity to practice propaganda techniques. Your kids will have so much fun searching for every last bit of propaganda and marking up the page!
This resource comes as a non-editable PDF and includes an Answer Key.
If you enjoy this product, leave a review! Go to “My Purchases” on your TPT account, scroll to the resource, and click the green “Provide Feedback” link. You can rate the product, leave a review, and collect TPT credits that you can use on other products!
Other Happy Teacher Products you might enjoy:
Follow Happy Teacher Resources so you're the first to find out about new products!