This activity is perfect if you are aligning with Common Core standards of finding and supporting evidence with writing, and you are working on the basics of literary analysis with your students.
This 4-page packet walks students through the process of identifying symbols and understanding their relevance in the novel Lord of the Flies.
After students have identified symbols, the packet asks students to write a concise body paragraph that explains how the symbols are used.
The packet gives students step-by-step instruction on how to structure their paragraphs. The exercise explains and emphasizes:
1. Topic Sentences
2. Using supporting examples
3. Incorporating a quotation from the book
4. Integrating the quotation in your own words
5. Explaining the quotation in your own words
6. Writing a concluding sentence
Examples are provided.