This bundle includes everything you need to teach informational text structure and reinforce the reading-writing connection: complete lesson plans with worksheets and test, PowerPoint presentation, and a writing project!
- A comprehensive 30-page document provides the resources you’ll need for teaching nonfiction text structure:
• table of contents
• lesson plans (including three possible timelines for instruction)
• text and notes for the PowerPoint presentation
• quick reference guides
• exit ticket
• three sets of differentiated worksheets (each with five texts to analyze)
• differentiated assessment
• two generic practice sheets to use with any text
- This 30-slide PowerPoint presentation explains the five types of text structure: description, sequence, compare and contrast, cause and effect, and problem and solution. Created for fourth and fifth grade students, examples in the slide show feature the history and culture of the Ojibwa people.
- This activity provides a dynamic connection between reading, writing, and science. Students are given an authentic task: write five articles about butterflies for a magazine, each using a different text structure. Here are the steps they’ll take:
1. Think about different topics related to butterflies and which structures match them. For example, which structure would be best for explaining a butterfly’s life cycle?
2. Use graphic organizers to plan the articles.
3. Write articles using guided drafting sheets.
4. Select sheets for publishing from assorted formats. Color, cut, and paste related graphics. Write corresponding essays.
5. If desired, add cover sheet and staple together.
This bundle includes three other products: Identifying Text Structure PowerPoint Presentation
, Identifying Text Structure Practice Pack
, and Writing About Butterflies
. It also includes lesson plans, PowerPoint text and notes, and an exit ticket that are not found in any other product.
You can click on Preview to take a peek at key parts of the lesson plans and writing project. To get a better look, click on links of the individual products in the paragraph above.
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other units are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Common Core State Standards RI.4.5, RI.5.5, W.
Indiana ELA Standards 4.RN.3.2, 5.RN.3.2