This has everything needed to teach, practice, and assess identifying and using context clues to figure out the meanings of words. With a heavier emphasis on text evidence, this goes beyond simply figuring out the meaning of a word using the clues.
Students are taught the six common types of context clues:
5. restatement (comma appositive)
* Topic is introduced with a Power Point, Keynote, or Quicktime. All three versions are included for the different platforms.
* There is a whole group practice page (or interactive notebook page).
* There are three additional student practice pages. Each practice page has a short paragraph in which students figure out the meaning of a word, and determine the type of clue provided. Each of the 6 types are included for every practice.
* There are also poster strips to hang for student reference.
This was designed for my 4th grade students. It is tough, and could easily be used in 5th or 6th grades, or as a challenge for higher 3rd grade students.