Does art that expresses “difference” engender empathy or ridicule? In this unit students explore artwork that challenges cultural norms and stereotypes.
This mini-lesson includes:
- Unit Objectives, Enduring Understandings, Essential Questions
- Suggested timeline outline with an introduction to each component
- Modifiable written assignment to develop analytical thinking about art
- Assessment rubrics with Common Core Anchor Standards/8 Studio Habits alignment
- Links to Online Supporting Resources
- Student Pack folder with all electronic student handouts
- Teacher notes and hints based on practical experience from teaching these units
NOTE: THIS UNIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT SOME SCHOOLS MAY FIND CONTROVERSIAL.
You can preview the main video that supports this unit, Identity - Gender, Herstory and Heritage