NO PREP PRINTABLES! Literacy in Social Studies that is engaging & meaningful! So much reading & synthesizing of all sorts of informational text (primary sources, secondary sources, a 2-page text) that takes students on a fascinating historical journey of discovery of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.
See "CONTENTS" section below to see full contents of both activities.
Perfect for RH.6-8.2 (Locating central ideas in historical/social studies documents), RH.6-8.7 (Integrate visual information), & RH.6-8.9 (Relationship between a primary and secondary source on the same topic)
This digital download contains the following two products:
Literacy in Social Studies: Explore Primary & Secondary Sources in Iditarod Online
Literacy in Social Studies: Explore 5 Themes of Geography in Itidarod Informational Text Passage (Central Ideas)
CONTENTS (Exploring Primary & Secondary Sources Online Webquest)
1. Thorough guide to characteristics of primary and secondary sources
2. Guided exploration of documents, photos, historical info at iditarod.com
3. Guided exploration of online interview of Gary Paulsen (children's author/racer)
4. Guided exploration of relevant primary source NY Times newspaper article
5. Answer Key
CONTENTS (Exploring 5 Themes of Geography)
1. Informational Text Passage "The Iditarod Sled Dog Race"
2. Guided Activity with targeted questions to get students to refer to text as they explore 5 themes (Place, Location, Human Environment Interaction, Movement, Region)
3. Answer Key