If You Give a Mouse a Cookie: Book Companion for Pre-K/Kdg. Speech & Language
This is a 71-page download for pre-k/kdg students working on improving receptive and expressive language skills.
Document contents include:
• Pages 4: Picture Sequence Circle: Story sequence for the book “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” by Laura Numeroff..
• Pages 5-7: Pocket Chart Sequence Cards: pocket chart sequence cards for the book “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” by Laura Numeroff..
• Pages 8-10: Story Elements: Story Symbols introduces story elements to pre-k students
• (http://decal.ga.gov/Prek/OffToAGoodStart.aspx). A second Story Symbols version is included, specific to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
• Pages 11-14: Story Recall: After reading the book, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” by Laura Numeroff, have students cut out and sort into the appropriate story recall mat.
• Pages 15-22: Attribute I Spy Game: There are five attribute I Spy cards; and 16 cards. Print, laminate and provide a mat to each child. The students can draw an X with a dry erase marker on item teacher describes or they can place a marker on item.
• Pages 23-29: Cause/Effect: Use the Cause/Effect sorting mat. You can explain to students that cause/effect is like bowling. If you throw the ball, then the pins will fall. Then have students identify the cause/effect that match and sort them onto the board. If students are able, have them create if/then sentences (e.g., If I water the plant, then the flower will grow.) 24 Cause/Effect cards are provided for the seasons (e.g., fall, winter, spring, summer)
• Pages 30-40: The Mouse in the House Poem: A whole group activity after reading the book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff, is to read The Mouse in the House Poem and highlight certain features (e.g., rhyming words, target items the mouse needs in the house). Use the following pages to construct sentence strips to be used in your pocket chart poem.
• Pages 41-52: Verbs: Two whole group activities to teach verbs; “The Verb Chant” and “What is He/She Doing Chant”. As the students chant, one student acts out a verb (present progressive –ing), then, when they stop, reinforce (past tense verb). A small group activity: Regular/irregular past tense verbs 18 cards, present progressive verbs 18 cards. Using verb mat, students will Identify and label verbs. 16 pictures
• Pages 53-59: Who Took the Cookie From the Cookie Jar?: A whole group activity. This game can be played in several different ways. Print, laminate, and cut Alphabet Cookies. Glue onto craft stick. Sing the “Who Took the Cookie From the Cookie Jar?” song using letter name, finger spelled letter or student’s name as target skill.
• Pages 60-70: Emergent Reader: What Can You See? is a simple, repetitive, predictable, emergent reader. This is a reproducible master so each student can take his/her own copy home and practice reading As an additional activity, have the students cut and match target vocabulary onto emergent reader.
This download does not include the book: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff. Purchase book separately
This document was created using Smarty Symbols. Smarty Symbols is a registered Trademark of Smarty Ears, 2013. All rights reserved to Smarty Ears.