One writing mentor text that provides five illustrative writing mini-lessons for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade students makes lesson planning so simple! You just need to print and teach!
This unit features the writing mentor text: Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion by Alex T. Smith
Each writing mini-lesson provides the following:
- Writing focus "big idea"
- A description of how the illustrative lesson transfers to the skills writers use. We call it, "How this helps the writer."
- A scripted writing mini-lesson that takes the guesswork out of your explicit writing instruction.
- Grade level modifications for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
- A modeled writing example you can use to help guide you during your writing mini-lesson.
- A writing anchor chart that will help your students notice and name various writing techniques.
These writing mini-lessons are easily transferable for various writing genres including:
- narrative writing
- fiction writing
- non-fiction writing
- informational text writing
This unit is intended to provide additional writing ideas and inspiration to your classroom. They do not replace a systematic explicit writers workshop curriculum. You will want to have or be in the process of establishing a strong writers workshop environment. This means your students are already participating in daily writers workshop mini-lessons with opportunities to write on topics of their own choosing. If you do not have a writers workshop curriculum, you may be interested in our
Best Selling units that we wrote starting in 2012.
- Writing Through the Year: Writers Workshop for Kindergarten and First Grade Bundle
- Writing Through the Year: Writers Workshop for Second Grade Bundle.
Thousands of teachers have implemented writers workshop using our explicit writing lessons. They have written to us and expressed how these lessons have changed their classrooms because they are now confident in the lessons they teach. They also tell us that their students love writing and have reached new levels as authors!
NOTE: If you are a member of The Clever School Teacher Membership Site this unit is included in your February 2019 membership files. DO NOT purchase this file, as you already own it.