This is a ready-to-teach unit that focuses on Emily Dickinson's poem "199: I'm 'Wife' - I've finished that". The unit includes:
- Context of composition (Information about the context in which the poem was written.)
- Language & Style - The Dramatic Monologue (This is a brief, informative introduction to Dickinson's adaptation and use of the dramatic monologue form as inspired by Robert Browning's own use of this form in his poetry.)
- Poem text for reading & annotation
- Comprehension, Close Reading & Analysis Questions (A selection of guiding questions that force students to read the poem closely, to analyze language, form, poetic devices,and their effects, as well as the overall themes and tropes developed in the poem.)
- Essay Questions & Exam Practice (This includes a selection of essay-style questions that facilitate an in-depth engagement with central issues and concerns of Dickinson's poem and oeuvre. These questions can also form the basis for exam practice, either for IGCSE Literature, A/As levels, or for the IB Diploma Programme).
- Teacher's Guide + ANSWER KEY. This includes detailed model answers to help teachers when teaching this poem and when assessing student responses and interpretations.