Note to Teacher
This product uses excerpts from Lois Lowry's novel, The Giver, to review the important literary devices, Imagery and Mood.
The first two passages ask students to highlight sensory detail, and identify the sense(s) that the words or phrases appeal to. I designed it so that it can be easily broken into:
• Modeling/Whole Group Instruction (1st Paragraph of Passage 1)
• Peer Collaboration (Finishing Passage 1)
• Independent Practice (Passage 2)
The next two passages ask that students identify words with strong connotations and determine the mood of the passage. Then, they need to cite evidence to support their claim of what the mood is. These can also be broken into:
• Modeling/Whole Group Instruction (Passage 3)
• Independent Practice (Passage 4)
• Peer Collaboration (Compare answers with a partner)
This is a straight-forward, simple tool that I use with various texts. I have found it to be highly effective, because of its simplicity. You may have them finish it for HW, come in and go over it the next day, and test them in the same format with different passages.